Practicing Prose

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

The Beginning

JustTheNarrator
    JustTheNarrator
    Sycthe
    Sycthe

The Beginning - Page 2 Empty Re: The Beginning

Post  JustTheNarrator Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:49 pm

Great! And yeah, hungry fits lol. War camps can usually make things interesting, I think they can usually be a nice additions to stories too. A one on one attack could work too, though, and may be easier since we don't have to worry as much about what's going on in the background. Either way is fine with me!
    crazycreator
    crazycreator
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  crazycreator Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:38 pm

Well, I guess it depends on if you're up for a challenge then...
    JustTheNarrator
    JustTheNarrator
    Sycthe
    Sycthe

Post  JustTheNarrator Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:28 pm

I'm definitely up for a challenge. Are you?
    JustTheNarrator
    JustTheNarrator
    Sycthe
    Sycthe

Post  JustTheNarrator Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:37 pm

Hi Lizzie's cousin/Sarah! I put the basic format for a character bio under the Story Ideas category. Have you done any roleplaying before?
    crazycreator
    crazycreator
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  crazycreator Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:44 pm

Ditto, I can take a challenge! Ready whenever you are!
    JustTheNarrator
    JustTheNarrator
    Sycthe
    Sycthe

Post  JustTheNarrator Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:37 pm

Do you want to wait for your cousin or have her jump in after?
    emeraldeyes
    emeraldeyes
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  emeraldeyes Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:19 pm

Hey, sorry I haven't been on and stuff. I've been sick, haha. Anyway, I'm completely new to this stuff and I'm excited to try something new! Anyway, I'll try to get my character's bio-thingy up as soon as I can (I'm currently researching the different types of fae. I'm very indecisive (just ask Lizzie)) So, yea!
    Nice to meet you, by the way.
    JustTheNarrator
    JustTheNarrator
    Sycthe
    Sycthe

Post  JustTheNarrator Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:32 pm

Thanks, nice to meet you too. And same here! It took me a while to decide on a Blurr, but I liked how the description of it was vague so I could shape mostly to what I wanted it to be.
    JustTheNarrator
    JustTheNarrator
    Sycthe
    Sycthe

Post  JustTheNarrator Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:28 pm

Finally getting this thing started...

Seth scanned the skies, looking for Blaire among the pillars of smoke. The bird was marking his targets for him, circling above them until Seth could get to the Seelie that was chosen to die next. His knife was gripped tightly his 'hand,' and if he had knuckles they would be white. He was going from victim to victim, blurring in an out, occasionally pressing himself to the ground to resemble a shadow. Most definitely enjoying himself, trying new techniques and using all the space for creativity that the smoke and shadows thrown by the fire afforded him. That morning the refugee camp Seth had recently made his home was set upon by Seelies. Images of death and destruction surrounded him, and he loved it. The recent call for extermination of Unseelies had given him an excuse to hunt down both races without purpose or mercenary contract, and it was as if his deepest dreams had come to life. Battles like this would often fill him up for a week, even if he didn't really have too much time to savor his meals.
    He finally spotted the black glint of Blaire's eye and the flutter of a wing, and made his way to the spot Blaire was circling. Below her was a Seelie with a scimitar and in human dress. He never saw the point in full-sized swords, and clearly it was one of the mindless brats that decided there was some ambiguous merit to living among the insects. Seth made his way closer. He stopped viewing Seelie as creatures long ago, and began seeing them only as nourishment. He crouched lower, barely above the ground now, and gripped his knife a little tighter.
    ((Most posts aren't nearly this long, but openers are sometimes. And your character can be facing mine, looking away, whatever. I tried to leave some room for you to have your say in how it begins.))
    crazycreator
    crazycreator
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  crazycreator Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:59 pm

Through the shadowy cobwebs perforating the Hazel and Rowan Trees and a cloying dewy mist, Calantha trekked obstinately through the dense wood, unaware of the danger that stalked her. A gentle wind caressed her cheeks, tangling in her golden hair. Frustrated, she twisted it up with a leather thong and let the messy nest rest near the nape of her neck.
    Earlier that evening, Seelies had set upon the war camp she inhabited, or rather, the war camp she had been observing. She had stayed on the outskirts, weighing the risks of associating with her fellow deviants, and it was a good thing too. When she had heard the all-too-familiar cries of those self-satisfied Seelie warriors, she was able to easily abandon the bloodshed of the blooming battle without being conspicuous, and she had vanished into the dusk, for reasons she refused to pinpoint exactly.
    Now she continued to put distance between her and the violent cries and smoldering fires left behind, disguising her ungodly appearance with a rather bland glamour and hastened away as fast as she could.
    JustTheNarrator
    JustTheNarrator
    Sycthe
    Sycthe

Post  JustTheNarrator Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:13 pm

Aah, so the coward is feeling like it can just abandon the battle it started? Fool. Or perhaps it has seen me following it and it hopes to lose me? Either way, it makes no difference to the end it will meet, Seth thought joyously. Anyway, he decided to make this a little bit more interesting for himself. He always needed practice luring in Fae, and this seemed to be an ideal opportunity. He went around it, and ended up ahead. He slipped his knife back into his 'pocket,' call it what you will, and started to stagger, brightening his verdant eyes that he had dimmed for the battle. He began using his mind in an attempt to cover its senses, lull it into security and sleep. Taking in the senses of so many creatures over time not only heightened his, but gave him a better understanding of how they worked and especially how to shut them off. ((It's kind of expected for you to break the spell, so don't feel bad doing it. Btw is your charrie (character) well known among Unseelie, due to how she changed to their side and all?))
    crazycreator
    crazycreator
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  crazycreator Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:37 pm

Sheetzy wrote:Aah, so the coward is feeling like it can just abandon the battle it started? Fool. Or perhaps it has seen me following it and it hopes to lose me? Either way, it makes no difference to the end it will meet, Seth thought joyously. Anyway, he decided to make this a little bit more interesting for himself. He always needed practice luring in Fae, and this seemed to be an ideal opportunity. He went around it, and ended up ahead. He slipped his knife back into his 'pocket,' call it what you will, and started to stagger, brightening his verdant eyes that he had dimmed for the battle. He began using his mind in an attempt to cover its senses, lull it into security and sleep. Taking in the senses of so many creatures over time not only heightened his, but gave him a better understanding of how they worked and especially how to shut them off. ((It's kind of expected for you to break the spell, so don't feel bad doing it. Btw is your charrie (character) well known among Unseelie, due to how she changed to their side and all?))

Not suddenly, but slowly, Calantha felt herself growing more sluggish. It was a gradual, natural feeling, and as her limbs became heavy and her eyelids fluttered, her wariness increased tenfold. Resisting the foreign fatigue, she made an effort to withdraw her long sword. It's familiar balance and cold blade restored some of her clarity, but she could not mistake it: something was awry.
    Halting where she was, Calantha examined the murky clearing. She saw nothing suspicious, but that meant little. Standing still wasn't a good idea; the immobility allowed the lullaby buzzing in the back of her skull to pull her further toward the sweet oblivion of unconsciousness.
    Desperately needing to ground herself in physical reality and escape this mind-numbing limbo, she did the first thing that came to mind. She dragged her scimitar across her forearm, stealing ruby from her veins. Many times, she had seen Unseelie do this in the heat of battle, to heighten the blood lust, scare the enemy, and as a test of their own brawn. Now the motion came habitually.
    She winced, but it had the desired effect, and she was able to gain a more substantial grip on her own senses.
    And that's when she saw them, the glowing, green eyes.
    Without hesitation, Calantha withdrew the daggers from under her billowy peasant dress, strapped to hidden holsters beneath the soft cotton. They twinkled in the gloom, glittering in her fingers. Then, she took aim, and they sliced through the air, intent on their formless target.

((Maybe her story can be well-known, but not her. As in, not many will recognize her if they do not hear her name (except a spare few). Plus, with how often she disguises her appearance with glamours, it would be difficult to recognize her. So....no, she's not THAT well known...with Unseelie ;]))
    JustTheNarrator
    JustTheNarrator
    Sycthe
    Sycthe

Post  JustTheNarrator Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:09 pm

((Ooh haha lovin' the mystery. And sounds good.))
    It was... cutting itself? Yes, it was an occasional Unseelie practice (not that he could or would indulge in it himself), but... really? Would it murder itself before falling asleep? Apparently. However, its trick clearly did some good, and he took note that physical pain could draw victims out of his trance. Not relevant in most cases, but useful knowledge nonetheless. He also took note of the two daggers now flying his way. Disperse or dodge? He decided to leave some of his skills unknown and ducked, giving the appearance that his only choice was to avoid the daggers. Not that they wouldn't do damage if they hit him, but he had easier ways of avoiding them. He retaliated with a quick sprint around to her side (as he could now tell it was presumably a she by the body structure and hair), his dagger now appearing in his hand as if by magic. He was contemplating diving into her shadow, but her eyes... they weren't normal. Whether only in appearance or by other means too, he decided to wait and not risk finding that out the hard way. He pushed into a full sprint towards her left side. Meanwhile, his mind was working just as hard to try to dull one of her senses at a time. He tried to make it seem as if the shadows were growing, making it darker. Perhaps simplicity would work best, or maybe now that she knew what his abilities were in general, she would be better at defending herself against him. But if it meant she had to keep cutting herself, hey, she was just doing him a favor.
    crazycreator
    crazycreator
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  crazycreator Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:41 pm

((Nice! XD))
    What was this creature? Calantha wondered. She could see naught but its eyes, the rest hidden from view. And it moved fast too. She had no inkling of what it could be. There were many rumors of dark things around here, and it was hard to say which one this thing substantiated, if any.
    Calantha let her scimitar hang down, disturbing the emerald weeds, and admired the red-stained blade. She had always had a taste for the feral.
    Focusing all her energy on the illusion, she morphed her Glamour. Attempting for a subtle shift from a bland to a repulsive appearance was difficult, but she was more skilled in the art than most Sidhe. She turned her countenance into something resembling a troll, hunched her back and greased her hair. Lots of scars. Purplish hue to the skin. She intended to fight, but inspiring a fierce aversion would give her an edge, and she was willing to try anything. If this didn't work, she had other tricks up her sleeve.
    For now, she squinted her eyes against the darkness and gave her most vicious leer.
    JustTheNarrator
    JustTheNarrator
    Sycthe
    Sycthe

Post  JustTheNarrator Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:01 pm

Seth no longer seemed to be the only one with a few tricks up his sleeve. He was now looking at a disgusting troll. A shape shifter? Should be fun. He decided to test out how his knife worked on this creature, circling around to nick her--unless it was only pretending to be a she before--arm and continue past, twirling around to face it as he began to sprint backwards, still away from it.
    crazycreator
    crazycreator
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  crazycreator Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:14 pm

Calantha roared in fury when she felt the sting of the blade. Not sparing a moment for hesitation, she lashed out with her scimitar, hoping to return the pains in kind. But she couldn't tell if the attack had been in vain, for the creature was rushing away again, melting into the shadows. The shadows were part of the creature it seemed, and they grew and grew, making it hard to keep track of benign darkness and sentient, deadly intent.
    "Coward!" she sneered. "Strike and hide, strike and hide. Show yourself! Stand and fight. Or are you a coward, emboldened only by the guise of shadow? Shed these morbid veils and tell me what you wish! To toy, to kill, to play?"
    Calantha let hot anger effervesce in her gut. In escaping one fight, she had wandered into another.
    JustTheNarrator
    JustTheNarrator
    Sycthe
    Sycthe

Post  JustTheNarrator Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:12 pm

"Perhaps all three? Or none? It's your choice really," Seth smirked, standing up, and noticing that a small slice had been made in his back. Since he didn't have blood, he couldn't be continuously harmed by attacks like that, but it did take away part of him, and restoring himself was extremely tedious. "And what guise? You appear to be the one hiding your true form." He smiled, enjoying these mind games much more than the physical battle. "This is as I am, of the shadows, one with the shadow. No, you have more deceit in your little finger than I do in my entire being," he laughed, going in for a slice on its right leg, dodging out again. He really had no ulterior intent to these petty scratches, besides the purpose of agitating it further. "Or are you just mad you're not as fast as I am?"
    JustTheNarrator
    JustTheNarrator
    Sycthe
    Sycthe

Post  JustTheNarrator Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:15 pm

((A note on how Seth's hurt- whenever he's hit, it's like chipping away a piece of stone. The piece chipped away is gone, and he will have to do some big long ritual to restore it- nothing that can be done on a battlefield. Chip enough of him away and he'll become unconscious, and he can be killed eventually if enough is chipped. Or you can kind of view it as splashing water out of a small pool.
    crazycreator
    crazycreator
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  crazycreator Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:18 pm

"Anyone could be fast," Calantha snarled, "who didn't have a body to lug around!"
    Hissing through clenched teeth, she felt the warm wet of her life-blood trickling down her leg. Her words were a jest, and an utter guess, a flimsy attempt to get him to divulge more information. Surely he was some spirit being? All metaphysical, and no physical?
    "It must not be very fun, this teasing and torturing your victims, when you do not inhabit the same playing field. Tell me though, where does your allegiance lie? Surely not with the Seelie Court? For you are too open with your dark, twisted nature."
    Seeing that this thing, whatever it was, lowered itself to trifle with wittingly delivered dialogue, she was eager to usurp the tool and buy herself more time.
    As she waited for the reply from his haunting ((is this okay?) voice, she began to shift her Glamour again...

((here, you can interpret the Glamour however you wish; I'd like to see what YOU come up with. If you don't want to though, that's fine. Just giving you some freedom. And how should I describe Seth? Can his character be felt physically? And how so?))
    emeraldeyes
    emeraldeyes
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  emeraldeyes Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:27 pm

((Hey guys, I finished my Bio thing. Do you want me to post it now or wait until your fight is done or post it in a different place. I'll do whatever you guys want.))
    JustTheNarrator
    JustTheNarrator
    Sycthe
    Sycthe

Post  JustTheNarrator Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:33 pm

((Posting it here is fine, but depending on your charrie it may be easier to jump in after the fight. Totally your choice though.))
    "No body? Now who said anything about that? I'm right here," Seth said, standing a little taller. "I'm just fast." He ran directly in front of her, about thirty yards away. "And of course not. Even if my ties aren't strong, why wouldn't I attack the enemy?" Truly, most other beings could be viewed as his enemies, but in this case he specifically meant the Seelie.
    emeraldeyes
    emeraldeyes
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  emeraldeyes Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:39 pm

((I'll wait until you guys are done. Just take your time.))
    crazycreator
    crazycreator
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  crazycreator Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:42 pm

"The enemy? I am the enemy of many, those good, those bad. But I fight for the Unseelie." Here, she sneered maliciously. "The Good Queen," she referred to the Seelie Court's monarch, "deserves more than a quick death for the calamity she has instigated."
    Straightening, she took in the form of this creature, but it was blurry. She blinked a few times; still, it remained unclear, as if she was looking through a warped glass, no matter its proximity.
    JustTheNarrator
    JustTheNarrator
    Sycthe
    Sycthe

Post  JustTheNarrator Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:57 pm

"Aah. So you say." Seth came closer to more clearly observe the creature. "Perhaps, seeing we could be on the same side, we could call a temporary truce?" He slipped his knife away, palms turned out, not like it would be able to tell. "Perhaps you could return to your... other form?"
    crazycreator
    crazycreator
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  crazycreator Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:08 pm

Far from satisfied that its attack had ceased, Calantha did not sheath her scimitar.
    "What form would you like?" she asked with sickly sweetness. "I can be your worst nightmare or your fondest memory. A long-lost love perhaps? An expired, motherly figure? But who knows if creatures like you are born naturally!"
    Clenching her fists around the malleable hilt of her weapon, she, despite the fact her guard was still up, lessened her Glamour to something resembling her true self.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:57 am