The Beginning

JustTheNarrator
    Sycthe
    Sycthe

Re: The Beginning

Post  JustTheNarrator on Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:22 am

"Bravo," remarked Seth, reforming from the shadows in the corner and taking a seat, a placid yet slightly interested mask never leaving his wispy face. "Very nicely done, Calantha. Although, that was cutting it a little close, I was beginning to worry that I may have had to interfere. But, all's well that ends well, I suppose. And yes, Vythica, your suggestions are quite... agreeable."

Hawthorne came immediately as he heard the door slam, however it took him much more time than what could be afforded in crises like these to find the correct solution to dissolve the lock, as he only had the ingredients for the solution. By the time he placed enough around the door handle to let himself in, the noises stopped and casual conversation could be heard inside. "It seems I'm a bit late to the party," he said, looking around the room. None of his team hurt, however there was a dead mortal and an unconcious or dead creature further into the room. "Quite a party," he muttered under his breath, standing protectively behind Vythica, already planning how to quickly and respectfully dispose of the dead without causing any further problems.
    emeraldeyes
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  emeraldeyes on Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:38 am

"You were here the whole time?" Vythica said to the Blur, allowing her irritation to show in her voice, "Well, thank you for your help. We could've been killed." Her sarcasm had a bitter edge to it.
    She looked away from him. This quest was far more taxing than Vythica had originally imagined. Was revenge for her beloved really worth it all? Yes, Vythica thought to herself, yes it is.
    JustTheNarrator
    Sycthe
    Sycthe

Post  JustTheNarrator on Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:38 pm

"I suppose there was a slight possibility, but I had a feeling that if you two solved it yourself something hidden may come to light. After all, honesty is the best policy!" Seth said with his own twinge of sarcasm. "And do you really think I'd give up any of my entertainment that easily, especially to an imbecile like that?"
    crazycreator
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  crazycreator on Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:24 pm

"Surprising, we agree on something. He rather is an imbecile." Calantha looked down her nose at the Unseelie. "Should we silence him?" she asked. "Or leave him here under the guise of the glamour?"
    JustTheNarrator
    Sycthe
    Sycthe

Post  JustTheNarrator on Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:38 pm

"Well, I was rather hoping I may use one of my methods," Seth began, using one of his most conniving voices. "He'll still have a heart rate, be breathing, et cetera, when his comrades find him, however, he will just, simply, not wake up." He left a careful pause between each of the last three words. "I believe that is our safest option, and I am asking you, Calantha, if you'd prefer to, ahem, use him for other purposes. I really could care less what those two have to say on the matter," he threw a quick but subtly noticeable to all eye roll in the Seelies' direction. "I am quite indifferent, imbeciles are really only just a snack, especially when leaving their main functions." He turned to Hawthorne and Vythica. "And please, don't trying to stop me, you know that either way I'll end up taking him if we decide that to be the easiest possible route."
    crazycreator
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  crazycreator on Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:09 am

"Your methods are fine," she said shortly. "Other purposes? I have no use for an incubus. Even now he attempts to leach our essence, a weak suction, considering our strength and his...," she trailed off. She grinned at the Blur. "But, his faculties may enthrall you, inundate even."
    She gesticulated dismissively. "But whatever is fastest. Obviously, we cannot stay here. They know this location. We are clearly Fae amongst human; we will be easier to spot than blood on white fur. If they are also searching for Akribis, then we have less time than we thought. But hopefully we retain the advantage, considering your knowledge."
    Cutting him a sharp look, she said, "It would be wiser not to call me by that name." A paranoid suspicion that his versatile predilections towards each of them were nothing short of intentional caught her interest.
    JustTheNarrator
    Sycthe
    Sycthe

Post  JustTheNarrator on Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:02 pm

"Well, if it'd be easier for you not to have him drawing your what's left of your soul away, very well," Seth said, but muttered 'what's left of your' very quietly, only for Calantha's ears, as he strolled over to the dark form. He knelt over the creature, bent down and pulled away his senses away one by one, enjoying the chance to devour another Unseelie. He didn't need to take the senses in this manner, but he thought the vampiric feel added a nice effect, especially for what had to be a quite powerful nagging thirst for a certain Dhamphyr.

What Seth did was revolting, and cruel.
    emeraldeyes
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  emeraldeyes on Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:59 pm

Vythica looked away as the Blur fed on the creature. Unseelie or not, Vythica felt as if no living being deserved that. She shuddered. We had no other choice, she thought to herself, Just a bit longer Vythica, and then this will all be over and you can go home.
    "I just wish he would've said more," she said, even though it was mostly just her thinking out loud, "But even if we tortured him," she shivered at the thought, "I doubt he would've revealed anything useful." All these were attempts to silence her screaming conscience.
    JustTheNarrator
    Sycthe
    Sycthe

Post  JustTheNarrator on Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:13 pm

"Meh," Seth said, standing up and wiping his mouth with his wrist (just more to the effect, no real purpose), "No use pondering the 'if's now anyways. More than likely he knew less than we did. And no way he would have been the fun type to torture, I wouldn't have finished him off that easily if he was." Half a smile rested on his mouth, his usual pleased smirk.

"I suggest we leave now," Hawthorne stated simply.

Seth strolled out the door, whispering, "Why? Starting to get hungry?" as he passed by Hawthorne.

Hawthorne clenched his fist and ground his teeth a little, but kept his tongue in check. Vythica would not be pleased if the loss of the shadow-figure delayed their quest.
    crazycreator
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  crazycreator on Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:27 pm

Calantha followed the Blur out the door, throwing the monk a sly look.
    "We can reconvene outside perhaps? Time is not a thing to waste at the moment."
    She paused in the hall, waiting for errant thoughts to coalesce. Left in the dark, regarding the legend of Akribis, wouldn't it be useful to have some sort of advantageous knowledge? With a devious expression, she went downstairs, where the brawl was still in full swing, and ghosted through with a languorous stride. Turning down a small corridor, she found the servants quarters and jimmied the lock with the blade of her dagger.
    "How adorable."
    Evynne stood beside a ratty bed, polishing a navy clay pot with a hopelessly dirty rag. When she heard Calantha's voice, she dropped it, and it shattered in seven pieces, splintered canvas of midnight sky. Her white eyes were open, unsurprised, and downright sodden with fear. The emerald stone still rested on her forehead, and the lapis lazuli was tethered by corded leather around her neck.
    "You are coming with us, Seer."
    emeraldeyes
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  emeraldeyes on Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:00 pm

"Where is she going?" Vythica said to herself and followed the Unseelie down the stairs. Carefully she weaved through the drunken brawlers and ducked down when a large glass pint nearly hit her in the head. It was then that she remembered why she almost never went into taverns.
    She then heard a crash that did not originate from the tavern. She shook her head; the Sidhe had to be responsible somehow. Vythica quickened her pace a bit, so she could stop what was happening before it got any worse. She found Calantha and poor little Evynne. At the Seer's feet was some broken pottery of sorts.
    "What did you do?" Vythica said angrily, seeing the fear in the girl's eyes.
    crazycreator
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  crazycreator on Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:13 pm

Calantha decided not to answer. Stalking relentlessly into the room, she gripped the girl's arm and began towing her out of the room. She was light, thin, and frail. If she tried to resist, Calantha did not notice.
    emeraldeyes
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  emeraldeyes on Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:25 pm

"Stop," Vythica snapped, "You can't just drag her around! She's just a little girl!" She hoped her words would reach the Unseelie and she would release the girl. "What do you need her for?"
    crazycreator
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  crazycreator on Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:05 pm

"She can see the past, present, and future. I think she will come in handy, wouldn't you agree?"
    Evynne was helpless as Calantha lugged her from the tavern, out into the night. It was pitch dark and beginning to rain, thick, heavy drops, icy in the bones.
    "Please," she sobbed. "I will be of no use."
    "Is that true?" Calantha hissed. "Can you see that?"
    Evynne only whimpered in reply.
    emeraldeyes
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  emeraldeyes on Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:11 pm

Vythica had followed them outside. "You're scaring her!" Vythica's voice was much louder than she ever thought possible. The Nixie reached her arm to the violin on her back. She figured if it got out of hand she could control the Sidhe to some extent. She'd be stronger, with the rain on her side. "Let. Her. Go. " She accented every word. Each was as cold as the rain falling down on them.
    crazycreator
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  crazycreator on Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:25 pm

Frustrated, Calantha let go of Evynne. But she did so with more force than she intended, shoving the Seer into the mud, long tresses of ebony hair mangled around her round, innocent face. Glowering, she rounded on Vythica.
    "Listen," she commanded, a red, angry glow emanating off her skin. "This is no game. Not to me. We need every advantage we can get. If that means taking one insignificant human--only valuable for an accidental gift bestowed by us, by Fae!--by force, then I will do it without a second thought. You must ask yourself how much you want the deaths of those who murdered your love, how much you loved him. I will not tolerate weakness."

--------------------------------------------
    Evynne, huddled in the dirt, noted their dispute as if from a faraway planet. They were merely shady silhouettes in her vision, and behind them scenes of their lives played like sunlight refracted in water.
    "Wait," she whispered. Clambering to her feet, she approached the two figures. "Wait!" she said louder. "I will come. I will help. I will. Freely."
    Suddenly, she was excited, and more nervous than she'd ever been. After years of painful visions, she could finally do something to change them, to create a different path than the one she saw these creatures wandering down. A light in the dark. Still, she was dying for some chocolate.
    emeraldeyes
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  emeraldeyes on Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:47 pm

Vythica couldn't look at Calantha. Truth rang out in her words. She wanted to be angry, but she just couldn't. If she truly wanted justice for the love of her life, she had to do things she normally thought were wrong. She had no other choice. Vythica wanted those murderers dead. Besides, the human girl wanted to come with them. Still, she felt better knowing that Evynne would be joining them willingly.
    She turned to the Seer, "Are you all right, little one?" she asked in a soft voice. Vythica felt as if she had to take care of the young girl. If she was to go against everything she was taught, she needed something to take care of, something so her light wouldn't leave her. The last thing Vythica wanted was to join the Unseelie court. The mere thought made her sick.
    She held her hand out to the girl, "You don't seem as frightened as before. That's good." She smiled warmly.
    JustTheNarrator
    Sycthe
    Sycthe

Post  JustTheNarrator on Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:56 am

Hawthorne strolled down the stairs, in time to see the other four- four?- walk out into the night, but before following ducked his head into the room the startled crash came from. With a slight sigh he used a bit of simple magic to repair the vase to its former glory, including removing the dirt and dust. He moved out quickly to see who the extra character was, and noticed it to be the seer from earlier. "Aha. And why, exactly, have we gone into the business of kidnapping? Despite the rowdiness, she was much... safer in the tavern. I hope there is a good reason why we have brought her out here, and into the rain at that," he shot a direct look at Drex. He moved over to the poor girl, pulling a raincoat out of his bag. He held it out to her. "A bit big, but it should do. And I do hope the emerald's holding up well?" Genuine concern stood in his words. Some of the Fae seemed to forget weather could bother mortals more than it did them at times.
    crazycreator
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  crazycreator on Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:01 pm

Evynne slipped under the heavy raincoat, grateful to the Fae. She murmured her thanks in between the shivers and tapped the emerald with a shaky smile to show it was. Belatedly, she took Vythica's hand, feeling safer with these two more than any. The natural repellent of the Unseelie was as tangible as ever, and she knew innately these were Seelie.
    ------------------
    "It isn't kidnapping when the victim volunteers." Calantha felt a strange appreciation that the monk could account for the Seer's vulnerabilities. Not gratefulness. Just a mild pleasure that someone could keep the weak thing alive and to her advantage. "We need to move. Take to the woods. What direction are we heading?"

((So, a journey I think will keep the pace up, and we can add some fun obstacles. Also, Mamihlapinatapai is my new all time favorite word.))
    JustTheNarrator
    Sycthe
    Sycthe

Post  JustTheNarrator on Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:52 pm

"And I assume you persuaded her to 'volunteer'?" Hawthorne countered, getting between Evynne and Drex. "Now, do you really want to come with us? We really cannot guarantee much, except that Vythica and I will do our best to protect you while you're with us. Now, don't worry about what she says," he nodded over his shoulder to the Unseelie," she can't do anything to you if I bring you back into the inn."

Seth enjoyed the dissension in the group, quite a pleasant background noise for the journey.

((Fun word! What's it mean? And yeah, a journey would be good. Btw, I'm not trying to discourage Evynne being in the story, I like her character, just keeping Hawthorne's character continuous.))
    crazycreator
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  crazycreator on Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:15 pm

"No, not really," Evynne admitted. "But ... all my life..." She swallowed down the cold fear with a few drops of rain. "All my life I've had these visions. I can see where things go wrong, where people make mistakes. If I tell you what I see, will you use it to do the least amount of harm? Will you do the right thing?"

----------------

Calantha snorted. Great. Conditions.

((It is a look two people share, both wishing that the other will initiate something they both desire but which neither wants to start.))
    JustTheNarrator
    Sycthe
    Sycthe

Post  JustTheNarrator on Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:35 pm

Hawthorne got what she meant. Just, wanting to make a difference. "I will," he nodded. "Now, since you are coming with us, which no one will force you to, wasn't there something else you wanted?"

((I like it! Concise words are so cool. There should be a word for when two people meet in a hallway, but keep going the same way trying to get by.))
    crazycreator
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  crazycreator on Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:18 pm

((Holy fudge there should be! That always happens to me...))

Evynne shook her head. "Nothing important." The rain had increased, and heat lightning peppered the sky.

----------------

Calantha surveyed the firmament with a frown. "Shall we?" She turned down the street, hustling through the sleeping Sotoba. Without really thinking about it, she removed a silver bobble from her pocket, a small coin fitted into a circular frame, and began spinning it between her fingers. She sidled up to the Blur, and whispered coolly, "At least I still have some of my soul left to lose." Her grin was waspish.
    JustTheNarrator
    Sycthe
    Sycthe

Post  JustTheNarrator on Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:54 pm

"You don't know freedom if you do," Seth said. "And, aren't the woods the other way?"

"Well, anything at all, be sure to let Vythica or I know," Hawthorne said, and set off with the others, making sure to stay between the Unseelies and the girl.
    crazycreator
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  crazycreator on Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:14 pm

"No one is ever really free. But the right bars make the best prison." Calantha raised an eyebrow in the general direction of the Blur. "Well, you're the one who knows where we're going. Lead the way."

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 23, 2018 6:25 pm