Practicing Prose

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

A Dustland Fairytale Beginning...

crazycreator
    crazycreator
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

A Dustland Fairytale Beginning... - Page 2 Empty Re: A Dustland Fairytale Beginning...

Post  crazycreator Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:05 pm

"I fed em' C4," Rye replied simply. "Of course, they can't have all swallowed the detonatorrs too, so some of the stuff's still ruminating in em'. If we impact hard enough, we'll be blown to bits," he finished cheerfully.
    She took her eyes off the road long enough that he almost veered them into an abandoned jeep.
    "I was with the Hawkers for a while, way back--you know them, ya?. Biggest, baddest, rebel band around'. Thas right! I was a Hawkerr! Well, we an' the gang ran into some big tough guys one day, said they had some stuff ta sell, would get ridda the vombs really fast, ya kno'? Said they got it from some fellas went into Area 51. Can you believe tha?" Rye shook her head. No way. "Well, Mac--leader of Hawkers, ya?--said he wanted ta see the stuff. The big tough guys' leader--Angel, said he was--showed him somethin'. Scared Mac real bad. Next thing you know he's ravin' abou' stormin' em out, raidin' em. Unheard of! We only raid the dead now. Too few of us livin' to pick on each other. We thought he'd gone mad, but you know sheep, gotta folla somit!"
    Riley muttered and rolled his eyes, trying to hide discomfort. She hated it how they'd went from bad to good so fast. Man, she'd liked Mac. Good head, till he'd gone nuts-o. Guess bein' out here did that to people.
    "Dunno' who survived after tha'. I got maself out of there awful fast. Got ta C4 too. Still have some, even after all tha'. So don't be tryin' any funny business."
    Rye winked.

Last edited by CrazyCreator on Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
    JustTheNarrator
    JustTheNarrator
    Sycthe
    Sycthe

A Dustland Fairytale Beginning... - Page 2 Empty Re: A Dustland Fairytale Beginning...

Post  JustTheNarrator Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:25 pm

Seth's knuckles were practically glowing white on the armrest, half from Rye's driving and half from that if Rye decided he'd best not be around, it wouldn't be his choice on which way to leave. "Good reason," was all he managed to mutter, which seemed to be acceptable for both parts of his story.
    crazycreator
    crazycreator
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  crazycreator Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:34 pm

"Yer a little lily-liverred, aren'tcha?"
    Rye swerved abruptly, going up an incline till they reached the top of a hill, and turning onto a dirt road in the woods. It went far back, until finally a strong fortress-like household loomed up in front of them.
    "Home sweet home!"
    JustTheNarrator
    JustTheNarrator
    Sycthe
    Sycthe

Post  JustTheNarrator Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:38 pm

"Umm... maybe?" Seth replied to Rye's comment, totally not knowing what (s)he meant and trying his best to hide it. As the slightly daunting stronghold came into view, he realized that everyone was not clearly going along the same path as him, using the run-and-hide option. "Nice place," was all he was able to mutter, still in slight shock that there perhaps were people living somewhat comfortably (in respect to him) during this time. Not that he necessarily disliked constantly moving around, but it could definitely be troublesome at times.
    crazycreator
    crazycreator
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  crazycreator Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:39 pm

"Righ, it is!" Rye nodded enthusiastically, screeching to a stop in front of the brick front, a wide, dark window looming over them.
    Reaching over Seth, Rye pushed his door open. "Ring three times, knock four, hop twice, password's: bargain bob's." Hopping out of the driver's seat, Rye almost slammed the door, but then added: "And one more thing. NEVER go into the garage." She leaned closer. "Seriously, man. Ever."
    He ran off around the back of the house, disappearing from sight.
    JustTheNarrator
    JustTheNarrator
    Sycthe
    Sycthe

Post  JustTheNarrator Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:10 pm

"Umm... okay?" Seth said as Rye dashed off, and scanned around for the theoretical west wing. Not that he intended to enter, as Rye would probably have some explosive to blow the intruder to bits. He planned to inquire about it later, however. Ring twice, jump three times, knock five? Rye had gone much to fast with his instructions. He walked up to the door, jumped a couple times, knocked a few, and rang three. "I know that's not exactly right, but Rye just brought me, and the password is bargain Bobs." He waited an hoped for a response.
    emeraldeyes
    emeraldeyes
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  emeraldeyes Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:00 pm

Character Bio

Name: Kaylyn Hubbard

Sex: Female

Hometown: Providence, Rhode Island

Appearance: Kaylyn likes to look neat, even when killing zombies. Her light brown hair is cut evenly without a single hair out of place. Her business-causal attire is always ironed and pressed so it is wrinkle-free. Her face is usually blank, since she’s always lost in thought, planning her every action as precisely as possible. Although, every once in a while, especially when Rye is up to his/her shenanigans, a smile will break out across her face.

Personality: Even though she is an introverted bookworm, Kaylyn isn’t a shy person. She will speak her mind if she needs to and doesn’t mind small talk in moderation. Kaylyn is always there when zombies are surrounding and some strategy is needed to make it out alive. Even though she is a generally kind girl, she does have a calculating side. Every time she helps someone, she always does it because she will benefit from it herself.

Background: Growing up where her mother was a librarian and her father was a high school English teacher, Kaylyn was constantly surrounded by books. Just like her parents she loved them more than anything else. The more she read, the smarter she became, although it was at a bit of a price. Her only companions were storybook characters instead of real people. She didn’t mind, though. Kaylyn had always been an introvert, even before her bordering-unhealthy love of books and after the zombies started taking over she didn’t have anyone to worry about. Although, after reading numerous novels of zombie apocalypses she was more prepared for the actual “zombie apocalypse” than the average person was. She knew she had to team up with someone, to prevent insanity of being alone during such horrific times and to have someone to watch her back. One day she met a (wo)man by the name of Riley and they teamed up for companionship as well as to protect one another from zombie attacks.

Other: Despite being a bit nerdy, Kaylyn can hold her own against a zombie in a life-or-death situation. She’s not afraid to use guns, knives, grenades, whatever it takes to kill a zombie in order to live another day.
    emeraldeyes
    emeraldeyes
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  emeraldeyes Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:12 pm

Kaylyn was sitting off in a chair beside the heavily bolted door, waiting for Rye to return "home." Her face was burried in a worn-out novel. So absorbed by the text, the knocking from outside the door caused the girl to nearly jump out of her skin. Instictively her hand went to the pistol at her belt. It wasn't until she heard the stranger from outside speak that she moved her hand.
    She grudgingly placed her book down of the floor and got to her feet. Moving over to the door, she stood on her tip-toes and peered through the little peek hole. There was a young man there who didn't seem like too much of a threat.
    "You said Rye sent you, huh?" she said, "All right, since you got at least the password right..." She unlatched the door and swung it open.
    JustTheNarrator
    JustTheNarrator
    Sycthe
    Sycthe

Post  JustTheNarrator Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:18 pm

"Plus I'm not a vombie," Seth smiled, relieved that the girl inside actually opened the door for him and hoping this name for the creatures would further prove his meeting with Rye. It was starting to grow on him too, it seemed somewhat fitting.
    crazycreator
    crazycreator
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  crazycreator Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:25 pm

((Just a note: edited some stuff. Rye was with the Hawker's a LONG time ago.))
    emeraldeyes
    emeraldeyes
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  emeraldeyes Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:57 pm

Kaylyn half-smiled, "So it is true that you've met Rye." She gestured with her head for him to come inside, "Come on in...where is Rye by the way?"
    Kaylyn deduced that the Irish (wo)man was probably out doing something stupid and/or dangerous. Not that it mattered to Kaylyn. She just hoped Rye would return soon so she didn't have to entertain the stranger.
    JustTheNarrator
    JustTheNarrator
    Sycthe
    Sycthe

Post  JustTheNarrator Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:12 pm

"I'm not sure... they ran off. By the way, what's in the garage?" Seth asked, figuring he could get more of a straightforward answer from this girl than he could from Rye. He could also clearly sense distrust with this one, by the fact that not even the password had really convinced her he had met Rye. "And I'm Seth." He stuck out his hand.
    crazycreator
    crazycreator
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  crazycreator Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:32 pm

Choosing her moment, Rye loped in, swinging the severed hand of a vombie. "Och, it's not that easy, stranger," she scolded Seth. "I see you've met the fantastic Hubbs." Rye stood by Kaylyn, grinning rather dastardly.
    emeraldeyes
    emeraldeyes
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  emeraldeyes Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:12 pm

Kaylyn glanced at the vombie head in Rye's hand, "You better not be bringing that disgusting thing in here." She then looked back at Seth, "Kaylyn Hubbard," She did not take his hand. "Now that Rye has returned, if you'll excuse me..." She turned to leave the two and picked up her discarded novel. She returned to her chair by the door and continued to read.
    JustTheNarrator
    JustTheNarrator
    Sycthe
    Sycthe

Post  JustTheNarrator Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:55 pm

Seth withdrew his hand silently, and raised an eyebrow at 'The Fantastic Hubbs' while her nose was buried in a book, clearly sensing the irony in her nickname. He turned to Rye. "So, you guys need any special positions to be filled around here? I mean, I was kind of a doctor, but I don't know if that'll have any specific uses."
    crazycreator
    crazycreator
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  crazycreator Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:29 am

"Doctor!" Rye practically leaped six feet in the air. He landed with an arm around Seth's shoulder, grinning like a maniac. "Good, I've got this really weird rash that could use some lookin' at..." Rye steered them over to the living area, an unholy amount of couches strewn haphazardly around.
    Rye plopped down on an abnormally fluffy green cushion, which practically swallowed her whole and wondered how long she could keep this guy on his toes.
    JustTheNarrator
    JustTheNarrator
    Sycthe
    Sycthe

Post  JustTheNarrator Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:27 am

"More of a surgeon," Seth trailed off, picking his way around the couches, following Rye. "I'm better at making sure people's insides are where they should be, rather than fixing stuff."
    crazycreator
    crazycreator
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  crazycreator Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:51 pm

"Hmm. Well, what do you think, Hubbs? We have a use for a surgeon-guy?" Rye asked.
    emeraldeyes
    emeraldeyes
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  emeraldeyes Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:35 pm

She didn't look up from her book, "He could be useful," she said, turning a page, "Who knows, we could be injured any day."
    JustTheNarrator
    JustTheNarrator
    Sycthe
    Sycthe

Post  JustTheNarrator Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:00 pm

"And I may be able to find out easier ways to kill the vombies, if we can get one in here," Seth added. "Is that what you keep in the garage, or is it worse?" he asked, still curious about that topic.
    crazycreator
    crazycreator
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  crazycreator Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:19 pm

Rye shrugged, running a hand through his tangled, dirty hair. "Yerr neverr knowin', laddie....STAY OUT!"
    Briefly, her face contorted into one of fury and pugnaciousness. Then, she was smiling again, hopping up and bouncing on the balls of her feet. "So, any requests? Long lost family members in need of locatin'? Secret vendetta against a high school arch nemesis? Riley Granados at your service! Tracking and trumping. Odds are they're vombies now, and it's your pleasure to riddle em' up!"
    Snickering, she started emptying the pockets of her tan breeches: scuffed containers, rusty pocket knives, and things that looked suspiciously like decaying fingers...
    emeraldeyes
    emeraldeyes
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  emeraldeyes Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Kaylyn sighed and shut her book, knowing she wouldn't be able to get any reading done with Rye and Seth there. "Now that I think about it," she said, getting to her feet, "A surgeon would be incredibly helpful, don't you think?" She looked over at Seth, "We're looking for a cure. Will you be able to help us find it? As you know, food is scarce so we don't want to be wasting it on someone who's just dead weight."
    JustTheNarrator
    JustTheNarrator
    Sycthe
    Sycthe

Post  JustTheNarrator Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:47 pm

"Oh, I can pull some weight in combat too," Seth smiled. The one thing he learned is that close range defense came fairly naturally to him. Perhaps he was a medieval bodyguard or assassin in another life. "I took a few courses in pathology, so if it's some sort of disease or virus I should be able to get some information about it. And no, I can't think of any person grudges that I want to carry out at the moment. But seriously, do you think we could get a dead vombie in here sometime? Or would there be too much of a danger keeping it? It could be totally dismembered, I don't think that would affect too much. I could set up a lab if you have a spare room, maybe a bathroom or one with some sort of drain..." he trailed off, looking around the place.
    crazycreator
    crazycreator
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  crazycreator Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:59 pm

"Oh yeah? Good combatant, eh?" Rye jumped from foot to foot, taking a boxer's stance and throwing a few fake jabs. "Think you could take me?!"
    Abruptly, she changed moods. "Drain! Oooohhhh, you got terr see the basement! I think a mad scientist lived here before we came. There's those plastic ghosts hangin' everywhere! And this slab that no doubt had a use for sacrificin'!"
    emeraldeyes
    emeraldeyes
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  emeraldeyes Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:05 pm

Kaylyn rolled her eyes, "Stop, I think you're scaring him." She allowed herself to laugh. She turned to Seth, "I'm sure we could drag a dead vombie in here...just as long as it doesn't bleed all over the carpet. I do not want to spend an afternoon scrubbing vombie guts out of the fibers." She thought for a moment, "Well, when do you think we should get this vombie?"

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content