Practicing Prose

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

A Dustland Fairytale Beginning...

crazycreator
    crazycreator
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

A Dustland Fairytale Beginning... - Page 4 Empty Re: A Dustland Fairytale Beginning...

Post  crazycreator Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:59 pm

((sure!))

As Rye was running, she noticed the black criss cross of a sewer grate. "Doc!" she shouted, swerving to the sidewalk. "Help me lift this thing!" She didn't dare look back to see what was coming after them.
    JustTheNarrator
    JustTheNarrator
    Sycthe
    Sycthe

A Dustland Fairytale Beginning... - Page 4 Empty Re: A Dustland Fairytale Beginning...

Post  JustTheNarrator Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:27 pm

He lumped the body next to the grate and locked his fingers between the corroded metal lacing. He instantly started pulling with Rye, and quickly felt the grate give.
    crazycreator
    crazycreator
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  crazycreator Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:02 pm

The grate clanked on the pavement. Feet-first, Rye plunged into the murky depths of the sewer. A powerful stench clogged her throat, and ghastly-colored water sloshed around her legs. Awesome.
    "Here, hand it down!" she called up.
    JustTheNarrator
    JustTheNarrator
    Sycthe
    Sycthe

Post  JustTheNarrator Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:42 pm

Seth lowered the creature down into the rancid abyss, almost dropping it when the scent wafted up to his nostrils. When it felt like Rye had it securely, he descended, feeling as if he was entering the vombie itself, and slid the grate shut above them before he reluctantly shimmied the rest of the way down the ladder. He almost puked again as he felt the thick slosh close in around his legs, and reached his arms out semi-blindly as his eyes adjusted to the light. "I can take that back," he murmured to Rye, not wanting to waste any breath for risk of having to take more in.
    crazycreator
    crazycreator
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  crazycreator Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:12 pm

Grunting with the effort, Rye swung the feet of the mutilated corpse into Seth's hands.
    "Voila. Eau de pied." She snorted. "Teamwork. Let's go."
    Trudging through the foul-smelling sludge, she worked slowly through the labyrinth of cloying odors and fusty molds...if that was mold anyway. The errant squeaks of rats made her shiver with excitement. Production value for sure.
    Eventually, they came to a junction of three tunnels. The one to the right was blocked by a giant grate of gray netting. The one directly ahead was dark and dank; the putrid water sludged on into its blackness. To the left, there was an unmistakable air of decay and strange denting noises echoed down the grimy passage, like a heavy weapon being plunged into steel, turning metal into something pliable for all appearances are worth.
    JustTheNarrator
    JustTheNarrator
    Sycthe
    Sycthe

Post  JustTheNarrator Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:41 pm

"I'd say straight is our best bet," Seth whispered to the barely visible Rye. He had to stay close the whole time so he didn't lose him/her, doomed to wander the tunnels for the rest of his small eternity. He did his best to keep quiet, as whatever was further down the left tunnel seemed to be bending the steel walls like putty. He was still doing his best not to breathe, years of swimming benefiting him now more than ever.
    crazycreator
    crazycreator
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  crazycreator Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:33 pm

Nodding, Rye went on ahead, straight into the dimness. With the vombie's head tucked under her right arm and its torso cradled in her left, she struggled to maintain her grasp while hurrying on through the knee-deep water.
    "Hey, Doc? Got any ideas about that noise...? Or an exit?"
    JustTheNarrator
    JustTheNarrator
    Sycthe
    Sycthe

Post  JustTheNarrator Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:43 pm

"The noise? Not good. The exit? Preferably straight ahead. Do you remember the route we took to get here? We may be able to follow the sewers back, or at least closer," Seth stated. He made sure to keep his voice in check, as not to notify the either receding or approaching sounds on the left. He still couldn't tell which way they were going, if they were moving at all.
    crazycreator
    crazycreator
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  crazycreator Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:37 pm

Geography was the only things Rye had been good at in school. Labryinthine sewers were a different story.
    After trudging down the enclosed space, Rye began to get moody and claustrophic. Open ground was always better for facing your enemy and blowin' him up.
    She happened upon the exit accidentally. A ladder, hidden in the dim, caught her elbow and gave her a nasty scrape.
    "Aha...," she mused, meanwhile letting Seth take the full weight of the vombie corpse. As she climbed the ladder to the ceiling, its head swung limply in her hands.
    "Manhole cover, thank the Lord," she told him, pushing up on the heavy iron and letting sunlight stream through.

((Sorry I haven't written in a while. I've been busy at college...wooh!))
    JustTheNarrator
    JustTheNarrator
    Sycthe
    Sycthe

Post  JustTheNarrator Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:07 pm

"Hmm. Never really thought I'd see that again," Seth said as a couple thin, stray beams hit his face through the thick, rancid air. He wrapped the corpse around his shoulders like a yoke, and called up to see where they ended up. "D'you recognize where we are?"

((And woo! Is that the journalism thing at Brown? Btw no problem, I'm in Maine haha.))
    crazycreator
    crazycreator
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  crazycreator Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:11 pm

Without really thinking about it, Rye stuck her head on through. In retrospect, she felt she could have had her head chopped off by some mysterious malignant entity, like a butchered chicken.
    They were on an unnamed street, with cute little boutiques (or they used to be; Rye scowled anyway) and a grimy factory building.
    "Not entirely," she drawled, to answer Seth's question.
    Hauling herself onto the street, she rested the head next to her and extended an arm down to help her partner in crime. Well, she had to spice it up wherever she could at least.

(Yeah, I was at Brown. But I was taking Forensics. Hope you have fun in Maine (or had).)
    JustTheNarrator
    JustTheNarrator
    Sycthe
    Sycthe

Post  JustTheNarrator Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:04 am

Seth took note of Rye's facial opinion of the area they found themselves in, distaste but not disgust, and by that (and her general not immediately diving back down or dying) figured it would probably be a fairly nice place. He accepted the hand, and observed the scenery casually- faded pastel colors and plain stripes, a a few cafes and salons, the occasional florist, small-town downtown kind of look. They could have stepped out in just about anywhere to his knowledge if he hadn't recognized the area as one he fled through just before meeting Rye. "Do you have enough coffee back at your place?" he asked her.
    ((Forensics is cool!))
    crazycreator
    crazycreator
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  crazycreator Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:00 pm

Rye gave him a strange look. "Eh, not much on the caffeine myself." People generally associated her buzz with a similar sort of addiction, not that that's what Seth was implying. "But never a bad idea to stock up. You know a place around here that'll have some?"
    JustTheNarrator
    JustTheNarrator
    Sycthe
    Sycthe

Post  JustTheNarrator Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:48 pm

"The cafes will probably have some, people normally don't scavenge them for food too much. It's worth a shot, anyway," Seth said, making his way to the nearest place with a half-broken fluorescent coffee sign.
    ((Do either of you watch Warehouse 13? By the way I love your new pic haha xD))
    crazycreator
    crazycreator
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  crazycreator Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:43 pm

"Lead the way," Rye muttered, bending to pick up some stones, tossing them at the brick siding. "So, what was life like pre-vombie for you?"
    ((I don't.. and thank you haha. I find it rather candid. I did watch Supernatural a little while ago. I think that's one you watch, right?))
    JustTheNarrator
    JustTheNarrator
    Sycthe
    Sycthe

Post  JustTheNarrator Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:11 pm

"Pretty dull, actually," Seth stated, making his way through the shards and other various debris littering the ground. "I was finishing up med school. It wasn't too bad, but y'know, it was school and all. Especially with finals coming right up. Heh, I guess there really are no losses without some sort of small gain. And you?"
    ((I don't think so :P. Was it good?))
    crazycreator
    crazycreator
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  crazycreator Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:39 pm

Rye nodded to that tragic bit of wisdom. Or not so tragic, depending on which way you look at it. "No finals. That's a plus." Rye hefted the vombie head to eye-level and stared into its glazed eyes. "I was doing the same thing then that I am now." She wiggled her eyebrows mischievously. "Only difference? Now it's not illegal. Or at least, there's no one to say it is."

((Oops. Yeah it was good... aha... my mistake...))
    JustTheNarrator
    JustTheNarrator
    Sycthe
    Sycthe

Post  JustTheNarrator Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:33 pm

Despite the barbarity of Rye's implications, Seth had to bite his lip to suppress a giggle at the eyebrow wiggle. Staring into the vombie's eyes was a little gross, though. "Well, shall we search for the magic beans?" he gestured into the dim building, fishing a little LED flashlight out of one of his pockets. After a quick look around the street to make sure they didn't have any followers, he stepped into the building. "See? It appears your situation may have a positive side too."
    crazycreator
    crazycreator
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  crazycreator Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:07 pm

She nodded gravely. "But does the positive outweigh the negative?" Her attitude changed abruptly as they neared the store. The door was made of paneled glass, which had remained pristine, strangely enough. Through its distorted panes, a toffee counter and oak paneling beneath peeling green wall paper was visible. Rye theatrically performed a deferential You first bow.
    JustTheNarrator
    JustTheNarrator
    Sycthe
    Sycthe

Post  JustTheNarrator Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:01 am

Seth nodded to Rye and made his way in, half expecting the door to shatter the moment he laid a finger on its handle. However, it seemed to hold up under his cautious pull, and he set his foot on the pale green checkered linoleum tiles. "Well, I doubt they'd keep most of it out front, so if you'd care to follow me to the back," Seth said slightly sarcastically, scanning the shadows in the corners for signs of unwelcome life as he walked through the deserted joint.
    crazycreator
    crazycreator
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  crazycreator Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:26 am

"Storage room?" Good idea.
    Rye looked around, craning her neck like a hyperactive kitten. The interior was surprisingly clean, in comparison with... well, the rest of the city. Disregarding a few dusty bunnies, it was perfectly preserved; she even detected the faint scent of coffee beans.
    "Don't worry, I'm right beh-....wow. What's that?"
    She veered course abruptly, approaching a shelf full of purple bags of coffee grinds, but there was a box next to it. A box of old movies. Chinatown. Pulp Fiction. Casablanca!
    She turned around to show Seth her treasure and he had vanished. Whoops.
    JustTheNarrator
    JustTheNarrator
    Sycthe
    Sycthe

Post  JustTheNarrator Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:21 pm

Seth left Rye to examine whatever her magpie's eye happened to land on in the front room, and strayed into the back room himself, following the clear and sharp scent of the little brown beans. He finally found them, on a small section of metallic shelving off to the right. He made a mental note to check the small freezer room on the left for more goodies after he gained whatever was to be found on the shelves. And, as if a divine hand had moved them to the precise spot where the beam of his still-equipped flashlight would first land, were two perfect sealed jars of coffee beans! Other assorted gems included a container much like the coffee bean ones filled with sugar, some coffee creamer and powdered milk, a small box of tea bags, and two of the cute little bear shaped containers of honey. He added these riches to his backpack, and called Rye in to see if she wanted to comb the shelves for anything else that may be to her interest. "I found what we were looking for! Along with some other stuff you might be interested in!"
    crazycreator
    crazycreator
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  crazycreator Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:04 pm

Hefting the box into her arms, vombie head resting delicately on the movie titles, she loped to the area Seth was scoping out.
    "Wow. Nice find," she said, noting the stuff he packed into his backpack. "Ready to go back? Think we have all we can carry."
    JustTheNarrator
    JustTheNarrator
    Sycthe
    Sycthe

Post  JustTheNarrator Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:50 pm

"Thanks! And eh, I'll check the freezer quick, just want to make sure I'm not leaving anythings too important," Seth stated as he made his way down the short hallway.
    ((So, is there gonna be anything special and/or bad in the freezer?))
    crazycreator
    crazycreator
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  crazycreator Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:02 pm

((Maybe the body of one of the clerks? XD))

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content